Come join one of the most exciting startups of 2013 located inside of Boston’s most innovative office environment here at the PayPal Start Tank. We’re hiring aggressively Backend/Rails, Frontend/Backbone, IOS & Android developers. Come change the world with us!
Are you an all-star developer looking to join and be a part of the top 10 founding team? Want to work on one of the most talked about consumer tech companies of 2013? Want to work in the most awesome office space in Boston, and take a scooter to your next meeting? Want to be surround by some of the best entrepreneurs and startups in Boston inside the coolest incubator here at PayPal Start Tank? Well, we’re hiring and looking for top dogs! We are a core team of 5 right now and are looking to double in size this summer. If you are the best at what you do and the below description is in your wheelhouse, we want to hear from you!
What is BlockAvenue?
BlockAvenue is a platform that lets you follow all of the social activity in your neighborhood while connecting you to neighbors who matter most.
Job Description: Engineering
We’re building a platform on top of the original social network, the neighborhood. By aggregating key lifestyle points like place data, transit, crime and combining that with relevant social attribution from more than two dozen networks including Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Foursquare and Eventbrite, we are able to do some pretty cool things, including:
- Connect nearby neighbors & small business owners
- Provide a civic platform for the city to connect to its citizens, and vice versa
- Rank the livability of every neighborhood in the world
- Solve the last piece of the online real estate vertical
- Bring transparency to both the good and bad on a block by block basis
Our backend is built using Rails, Backbone, PostGIS, MongoDB, Heroku, Redis, and Resque. We use Code Climate to measure code quality and refactor poor code as we go. We practice Agile Development, and we know we will always need to get better at it. We hope you can help us with that.
We have a web application and an iOS app, both of which provide a distinct experience (ie. one is not a clone of the other). We expect to release an iPad app and an Android app later this year.
You want to work here because we’re going places. The leadership team has successfully launched a number of startups with successful liquidity events. We’ve presented at dozens of national conferences on business and technology. We’ve run digital agencies, real estate businesses, and e-commerce ventures. Now we’re working on building a billion dollar company around connecting neighborhoods: a problem we feel passionate about solving.
We want you to learn from us, and we want to learn from you. When you contact us, be sure to tell us what you can teach us. When you show up to the interview, be ready to school us on something.
Skills we need you to have:
- Ruby, Python, or another modern server-side language
- Good OO sense, especially with mixin and API design.
- A modern client-side framework like Backbone, Spine, Ember, or similar.
- Source Control with git
- Postgres and MongoDB
- iOS development with apps we can see and test (if a mobile developer)
Skills you should want to learn or develop:
- Agile development (we use Trello to manage stories)
- GIS and geospatial
- RSpec for TDD
- Heroku, Redis, Resque
- PJAX, Pushstate, and Turbolinks
- Mongo Spatial
- REST APIs with Grape
Things you can’t be afraid of:
- Newrelic alerts being connected to your phone.
- Hard problems. Really hard. The kind that keep you up late thinking.
- Scaling a service 10,000x this year alone.
- Making a complicated system look simple.
- Tests, but not necessarily test-first.
- Having to prove your designs with data and metrics.
- Throwing away stuff that isn’t working: we pivot.
- Time pressure: we’re a startup that is moving fast in a VC funded world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. As such, we measure our candidates objectively. We are looking for the best of the best, whether you’re a student or a 10 year veteran, if this job rec speaks to you, we want to hear from you. Thanks and looking forward to connecting!
Please contact us by emailing us at jobs [at] blockavenue.com, subject: Employment Inquiry.